Hypothyroidism is a condition of the body when the thyroid gland does not produce the optimum amount of hormones due to a protein deficient diet or other lifestyle related problems. The common symptoms of this deficiency disease are fatigue, insomnia, weight gain, depression, memory loss, dry skin, brittle and dry hair, thickened tongue, constipation, and light or no menses.
One of the main causes of hypothyroidism is the lack of iodine in the body and extreme cases of this deficiency can even result in Goiter. If hypothyroidism is left untreated, it can result in increased cholesterol levels in the blood causing choking of the arteries leading to fatal results. An early treatment of this condition is required, based on its diagnosis.
The use of herbs has been extremely helpful in the treatment of hypothyroidism and there are a number of herbs available in the market that can be combined with the diet recommended by the doctor. However, all herbs are not beneficial for the treatment of this disease and some can even cause an increase in the severity of this ailment.
Herbs like bamboo, ginger, lemon balm, ginseng, wheat grass, astragalus and burdock can decrease the rate of healing this ailment. It is advisable to keep away from them in case you are diagnosed with hypothyroidism. The reason these herbs can be harmful is that they stimulate the immune system and cause the thyroid hormone to deteriorate faster. It is best to avoid them at least in the initial stages of the treatment.
Many herbs have been proved to be a God-sent in the treatment of hypothyroidism. They give immediate outcomes in the curing process and cause no side-effects.
- Black Cohosh is found to be useful in the curing of menstrual problems caused by hypothyroidism, and can even treat infertility in women.
- Kelp is a herb rich in iodine, and is recommended to those who have an iodine deficient diet.
- St. John’s Wort has been known to cure hypothyroidism-linked depression, and Cayenne supplements improve blood circulation.
- Bladderwrack (Fucus vesiculosus) is also rich in iodine and should be administered to early patients of hypothyroidism.
- Guggul and Irish moss are also helpful in curing hypothyroidism as they have been found to boost the healing process and hormone secretion.
- Another very important herb in the treatment of hypothyroidism is the Indian ginseng known as the Ashwagandha root. This is a miraculous herb that stimulates thyroid gathering as it increases the concentration of serum T-4 in the body.
Apart from these herbs it is also necessary to have a controlled diet which is rich in proteins like seafood, organic vegetables and shell fish. Spinach, broccoli, mussels and cauliflower must be avoided as they can suppress the healing process, and cause complications in the treatment. By taking the right foods and herbs, this ailment can be cured in due course of time. It is important to keep the body fit by exercising to combat hypothyroidism. Swimming, jogging, cycling, playing tennis and basketball are a good option for patients. Exercises along with a balanced diet supplemented with herbs can tackle the disease in a short span of time keeping you equipped to face life with vigor.
Highly Recommended Herbal Product:
Thyromine is an all-natural thyroid supplement that works with your body’s own systems to help the thyroid produce the right amount of hormone.